A tired worker at a construction site paused for a little rest. A younger man walked past him and laughed.
- What happened, old man? Not enough muscle to push that wheelbarrow anymore?
He stopped and showed his biceps - which were very impressive to say the least.
The other workers looked at the young man disapprovingly. Too often he was making fun of the older men. Still they tried to put it to the thoughtlessness of youth.
- Where have your biceps disappeared, Grandpa? the young man laughed, - Shouldn´t you go and search for them? Don´t see much filling your sleeves!
Enough was enough. The tired worker straightened his back and looked at the sneering young man straight in the eye.
- So you say you have all the muscle you need to push this wheelbarrow and anything in it?
- Of course! the young man proudly said, - Wanna bet?
- Actually, yes, the older man said, - I´ll bet a whole days wages that I can push something in this wheelbarrow to that warehouse over there - and the bet is: it is something you with all your muscle can´t push back.
- Well, it´s your loss. I´m in! the young man laughed, - Easiest money I have made!
- You witnessed the bet? the older man asked and others around them nodded. He then turned to the young man, pushed the wheelbarrow towards him and said: - Ok, hop in.
Often young people think the older folks no longer have anything to offer. And yet the workers who have been at a job the longest are priceless. They have an amazing amount of knowledge and information that will make the job easier for the younger ones too. So always respect your older ones - with their hard work they have earned respect.
I remember when many older people retired from our company. Guess what happened after a few months? Some of them had to be called back because others couldn´t do their jobs well without the knowledge these retired people had. You could say they were treated with respect!
What if you tried talking to the older workers - really talking and listening to what they have to say? It may be you learn invaluable information that will help your own career tremendously.